On another web page I show a schedule of the schools I have booked for the remainder of the year. The type of school that I will be holding is determined by the distributor or company that has hired me to conduct the school.
If you would like to hold a Pump and Seal School in your area
THE STANDARD TWO DAY PUMP AND SEAL SCHOOL
- E-mail me at: or
- Telephone: The Mc Nally Institute at (727) 403 1732 (my cell phone)
This two day course will answer most of the questions you have about seals, bearings, and why pumps often fail prematurely. You will not need a background in either seals or pumps to keep up with the class. Only basic mathematics are used to explain the formulas you will be taught.
In the basic school we will be covering:
- What life you should expect from pumps, bearings and mechanical seals
- An explanation of common pumping terms.
- Pump standards, what’s wrong with them?
- How to analyze rub marks caused by pump shaft deflection.
- Different types of pump curves
- How to create a system curve.
- Using pumps in series and parallel
- An explanation of various impeller shapes and materials.
- How to choose the correct centrifugal pump.
- Should you be using a variable speed drive on your pump?
- Special pumps
- When should you use a positive displacement (PD) pump?
- The centerline design
- The vortex pump
- The magnetic drive pump. Where should you use it, and where it would be a poor choice.
- What is NPSH all about?
- An explanation of the different types of cavitation and how to stop it.
- Suction vaporization (low NPSH).
- The vane-passing syndrome.
- Internal recirculation.
- Air ingestion (Looks like cavitation)
- Bearing lubrication.
- Bearing sealing.
- How important is it to do a pump alignment?
- Trouble shooting common pumps problems.
- How to modify your pump for longer bearing and seal life
- Ten types of corrosion we see in pumps and seals
- Mechanical seal basics
- Rotating vs., stationary seals. Which one to select
- How to hydraulically balance a seal
- Features to look for in mechanical seal designs.
- Sealing slurries
- Seal installation. The use of cartridge seals
- Using two seals in your pump.
- When to use split seals
THE THREE DAY PUMP AND SEAL SCHOOL
INCLUDES EVERYTHING IN THE TWO DAY BASIC SCHOOL, PLUS:
- The pump affinity laws. What happens when you change impeller size or shaft speed?
- Rebuilding centrifugal pumps
- Classifying chemicals for easy sealing. You will learn how to seal any fluid.
- How to choose the correct sealing materials:
- Metal components
- Seal face combinations
- Rubber parts.
- When to select two hard faces.
- How to seal:
- Slurries. (Liquids that contain a lot of solids and abrasives.)
- Hot oil
- Hot water
- Liquids that crystallize
- Vacuum and high pressure applications
- Viscous fluids
- Liquids that solidify
- Excessive motion
For information about my CD with over 600 Seal & Pump Subjects explained, click here
Link to Mc Nally home page mcnallyinstitute.biz